|Job Title:||Data Engineer|
|Salary:||£500 - £600 per day|
|Contact Name:||Lewis Thomas|
|Job Published:||July 29, 2019 13:26|
I am currently looking for a Data Engineer for a 3 month contract role based in Portsmouth at a rate of £600 per day.
Here is the JD: (Hadoop And Splunk Experience is a must)
- The role day to day will be to design, implement, manage, and administer Analytic platforms and services. The goal is to deliver an open, secure, robust, scalable, reliable and high-performance solution.
- You will work closely with the data, network, application and analytic teams to make sure that all the big data applications are highly available and performing as expected. Experience with capacity planning and estimating the requirements for lowering or increasing the capacity of Hadoop based platforms will be helpful.
- Represent the Information & Insight team at meetings with internal infrastructure colleagues as well as external suppliers/vendors.
- Ensure that appropriate audit and security controls exist for data hosted and served from the platforms
- Work with the Data Sourcing teams to ensure data is loaded, maintained and available from the data platforms to meet the required availability, security and performance requirements asked.
- Maintain an awareness of emerging tools, skills, techniques and technologies, and where appropriate make recommendations relating to their timely introduction for competitive advantage.
A bachelor's or master's degree in, computer science, information management or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Ideally 5 or more years' experience in designing, running and troubleshooting Hadoop based analytic platforms however for a development candidate then working knowledge of these platforms might be sufficient.
- Preferably 3 or more years' experience in supporting Microsoft SQL 2016 or above Data & BI platforms.
- Experience in working on implementing and supporting data platforms within secure, regulated industries
- Preferably 3 or more years of experience in information-intensive industries or digitally advanced enterprises
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to work across teams to influence and effect change to achieve common goals.
- Either detailed knowledge of (full role) or familiarity with ( development role) some of the following data related platforms or technology:
- Expertise in at least one commercial distribution of Hadoop.
- Experience or knowledge in the Splunk toolset
- Batch and streaming job frameworks (such as Spark, Storm).
- NoSQL databases (e.g HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB).
- Middlewares and messaging systems (e.g. Kafka, RabbitMQ, FTL, Ultra Messaging).
- Scripting (e.g. R, Python, Perl).
- Automation via the use of configuration management (such as Puppet or Chef) and orchestration tools (such as Ansible).
The following would be advantageous but not necessary:
- Service discovery (e.g. Zookeeper, Consul, etc).
- Data collection and querying (such as Flume, Sqoop, Hive).
- Time series databases (such as InfluxDB, OpenTSDB, or Prometheus).
- Kerberos, SSL certificates.
- Good knowledge of basic network protocols (e.g. IP, UDP, TCP), OS network stacks. Multicast is a plus.
- Cluster managers (e.g. Docker, Apache Mesos, Kubernetes).
- Strong experience of Microsoft Azure Data & Big Data platforms and services.
- Experience in supporting Microsoft SQL/Hadoop integrated platforms
- Experience in supporting Microsoft SQL 2016 or above data platforms
- Database administration and querying (SQL).
Candidates should first and foremost be willing to learn the technologies and aspects they may not have been exposed to in the past. They must also be willing and experienced in sharing their experience and knowledge with others to raise the maturity of this overall capability within Babcock. They should have a track record of delivering high quality work, complete, tested and documented.
Lawrence Harvey is acting as an Employment Business in regards to this position. Visit our website www.lawrenceharvey.com and follow us on Twitter for all live vacancies @lawharveyjobs
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's